Booking Terms & Conditions
COVID 19 Policies
Given the current state of the global community, Sail Superior is taking various precautions to protect the health and safety of both passengers and crew. Increased sanitation between charters, distancing measures, PPE, passenger tracing and screening as well as increased care surrounding food and drink services, are all steps being taken to ensure the health and continued enjoyment of every charter.
As legislation surrounding the pandemic continues to change, we understand the need for flexibility. In the event of implemented health directives prohibiting the fulfillment of a booking, the reservation value will be held for a future tour. Though we will NOT be offering ANY REFUNDS, all collected fees will become credits applicable to any future Sail Superior Tour. For any non-domestic bareboat reservations, should the individual be legally prohibited from travel to Thunder Bay, by reason of border closure; ALL charter fees shall be refunded. Request for a refund must be made 14 days prior to the reservation and supported by governmental regulation.
All tours 2 hours and shorter, as well as individual bookings, are subject to payment in full a the time of booking. This includes the Zodiac Welcome Island Blast, Harbour Tours, Wine and Cheese Cruises, Birding Cruises and Themed Night bookings. Basic Sail and Monday Night Clinics are to be paid in full a the time of booking also.
For private group bookings longer than 2 hours in length, 50% is due at the time of booking and the remaining balance will be charged to the card on file at the time of departure (unless other arrangements have been made). Shorter tours are full payment upon booking. Private group reservations and payments must be handled through one group representative only. (We will not create separate invoices for participants, except for onboard purchases). These tours include all Half Day and Full Day Adventures, as well as the Sail to Learn ISPA Cruises.
Cancellation & Refund Policy
Any cancellations made for bookings made PRIOR to MAY 1, of the current year will be honoured and subject to an administration fee at 15% of the entire booking fee. Due to the limited operating season and nature of our outings, each tour requires a minimum passenger occupancy. Consequently, no refunds, cancellations or exchanges can be provided on tours booked AFTER MAY 1, of the current year. Instead, we offer 100% guest transferability and welcome different guests in lieu of the one named on the ticket. Simply let the Captain know before boarding so the adventure can proceed as planned. *Please understand that the specific booking is still expected to be filled.
In the instance another guest comes in lieu of the one named on the ticket, it is understood that the new passenger assumes all liability and agrees to the terms and conditions associated with the reservation.
In the case of a third party representative booking for a guest, it is understood that the guest assumes all liability and agrees to the terms and conditions associated with the reservation.
In the unforeseen event that Sail Superior has to cancel a tour due to unexpected and unavoidable circumstances, all charges and deposits will be refunded in full. Severe weather at the time of departure will result in a postponement of the tour and potential reschedule but not a cancellation. If management decides that the weather will result in a cancellation of the tour, a rain-check for future use will be issued. It will not expire. Our Captains maintain the sole discretion on tour routes and speed to ensure utmost safety and enjoyment. There is no recourse to NO-SHOWS, you will loose your spot and your ticket price.
- Rain is not a valid reason to cancel a charter as both the Catamaran and the Zodiac have covers to keep you out of the direct rain.
- Heavy fog will delay our departures, but will not always cancel them; it may simply be a temporary and localized event. Zodiac and sailing trips that travel to destinations beyond the break-wall will sometimes pass through both rain and fog before ending up at the final destination, in better weather.
Additional Zodiac Tour Considerations
In addition to our standard cancellation and refund policy, all non-private Zodiac Tours and Catamaran sailing tours require a minimum number of confirmed passengers at least 24 hours before departure. If there are fewer than the minimum requirement we may cancel a tour. An effort will be made to contact you at the numbers and emails on your reservation. We will help you reschedule or, if we are unable to so, the full ticket price will be refunded. Please leave us with an email or phone number we can reach you at during you booking process. This way you will not show up expecting a tour that we had to alter, whether by mechanical failure or less than minimum passenger numbers.
*Captains maintain the right to alter course and destination at times of rough weather and changing waters in order to maintain guest and crew comfort and safety.
Bareboat Charter Booking Policy
All bareboat charter reservations must be accompanied by a 50% non refundable payment of the base rental price. This payment excludes add-ons such as cleaning fees, dinghy & spinnaker upgrades, refundable deposit, fuel etc,. The balance of the rental fees are due upon departure.
If you pay all your base rental fees by March 31st., we apply an early payment credit of 10% to your final charter fee. You can use this credit to pay any additional charges you incur on your trip (fuel cleaning, dinghy upgrade etc) or use it as part of your refundable US$1500/CDN$2500 damage deposit.
If you cancel your charter before March 31st you will forfeit your 50% reservation payment, any other applied fees will be refunded. If you cancel your charter after March 31st., there are no refunds for any reason. We will work with you to try to transfer your charter to another party however we can’t guarantee this will be successful. *There is a COVID exception please inquire.
Sleeping Giant Sailing School
Classes and instructional cruises are not canceled due to weather.
Zodiac Tour Restrictions
Children must be at least 142 cm (4’6″) tall for our public zodiac tours, or 8+ years old.
For privately booked tours we allow any age guest, but the captain has the sole discretion as to the route and speed of the vessel. This is to insure the safety of all guests. This may ultimately mean staying within the break wall or using the river system where the waves are smaller.
Zodiac trips are not suitable for pregnant women or those with serious back and or neck problems as sometimes the waves and speed of the vessel combine to create a jarring impact. On flat water days or trips within the break wall or river system this is not usually an issue. But, conditions change quickly on the lake. Please let us know of any such conditions at the time of booking and we will recommend a more suitable option. Sailing!
Big Lake Excursions
All big lake sailing and zodiac excursions that involve going to shore require a waiver to be signed by each passenger.
Download the waiver and fill it out beforehand.
- Student: Enrolled at a post-secondary institution or high school
- Senior: 65 years and older
- Youth: 11-17 years of age
- Child*: 3-10 years of age
- Toddler*: 2 years and under
- Family: 2 adults and 2 children
*Must be accompanied by an adult. If more than one child is present, one adult and individuals over the age of 15 must accompany them. (Special accommodations can be made should you require. Please contact us in advance.)
Where to Meet
Arrival time is 15 minutes before any adventure and the meeting place is at our boats:
Pier 3 Slip 13 Marina Park, Thunder Bay, ON
We look forward to your arrival! You may park free of charge in one of the three public parking lots along the waterfront. You are welcome to drop off people and belongings at the boats before parking. Do not park where it says boater parking only.
See our Contact page for more information, a map of our location and detailed directions.
Our trips leave on time. Be early. In the event that you miss your tour there will be no recourse nor refund.
If you have booked a private excursion we will be at the dock until you arrive, but the length of your excursion will not be extended if you arrive late. We must return on time to give captains proper rest, and to clean and prepare the vessel for the next tour.
Pet-Friendly Zodiac & Catamaran Tour Policy
Availability is limited. One pet per charter.
*A reservation does not need to be made for a registered guide or hearing dog, they are welcome aboard free of charge.
We are very excited to be able to offer our passengers the opportunity to bring their companions along on our trips! Here are a few guidelines and tips to make the trip safe and enjoyable for you, your pet and other passengers:
- It is advised to make a reservation for your pet in advance. However, walk-ons are welcome and accepted based on availability.
- Pets must travel with their owners. For safety reasons, there will be designated seating for you and your pet to sit together. Pets must be leashed.
- Pet owners are responsible for the care and feeding of their pet.
- Your pet should have a properly fitted collar or harness, as well as an identification tag with current contact information.
- Senior dogs, small-breed dogs, puppies, dogs with short legs and double coated dogs are all considered to be less than ideal swimmers. With these types of breeds, it is recommended that you use a life-jacket or flotation device.
- Pets can get sunburned! Especially the ears, paws and nose are very susceptible to sunburns. Most children sunscreens will be safe for dogs but we recommend contacting your vet for a list of options.
- On hikes, we have a poop and scoop policy, we ask that you please clean up after your pet.
- There is a small $5 fee for each pet traveling on-board with the exception of registered guide and hearing dogs, which are carried free of charge. The $5 is to reserve a spot for your pet and equip the boats with basic pet cleanup equipment. All of the proceeds will go to a local animal shelter/charity.
- Be aware that longer zodiac rides can be physically stressful on a pet as they cannot hold on to the boat, especially if there are big waves
- In the event of a pet becoming agitated by the stress and sound of the boat, the captain will have the final say as to whether the pet is capable of continuing on the tour.
- Owners are financially responsible for any incurred costs from having to cut a trip short or extend a trip because of a lost or injured pet.
- Owners are entirely responsible for their pet’s behaviour and it shouldn’t interfere with the experience of other passengers.
We know that you really want to bring your pet with you, and we want you to too! It is important to consider that some trips are not suitable for all pets. Please ensure that your pet is sociable and will not disrupt other passengers.
Use your discretion when considering bringing your pet. If you are uncertain about how your pet will behave on-board, please Contact Us to make arrangements prior to booking your tickets (ie. arrange to bring your pet to the marina to visit us first). In most cases, there are no issues and a pet and its owner will both enjoy their tour.
We have put policies and procedures in place to mitigate pet-related incidents and make your experience safe and enjoyable. We must still, however, remind pet owners that they are financially and legally responsible for any injury or property damage their pet causes or incurs.