Private Tours & Groups
For private group Harbour Sailing Tours , Zodiac Tours and Wine and Cheese Cruises, 50% is due at the time of booking and the remaining balance is due 14 days before the event. Reservations for Big Lake Adventures and specialty charters require a 50% deposit at time of booking with the balance due upon departure.
Private group reservations and payments must be handled through one group representative only.
Advanced online reservations*
*At least one day in advance
Zodiac Tours, Harbour Tours, Wine and Cheese Cruises, Welcome Island Excursions and select Big Lake Adventures are available for online reservation. When booking online, your credit card will be charged at the time of booking as per our Booking Policy. We accept payment from all major credit card companies.
Please call or text ahead for same day last minute availability.
Visa, MC, Amex, USD or CDN cash, is accepted on board. If paying by credit on board, please arrive 15 minutes early to allow for card processing.
Cancellation & Refund Policy
All reservations canceled at least two full weeks prior to the scheduled trip date are refunded 85% of fare (15% administration fee). If a reservation is canceled within two weeks of scheduled trip date, there is NO REFUND.
You MUST call us (+1.807.628.3333) to cancel a reservation prior to the trip date or no refund or transferable credit will be made.
PLEASE, be sure of your trip before booking.
100% transferable credit will be issued for the following circumstances the day of the charter:
- If there is a Small Craft Advisory in effect by Environment Canada at the time the charter begins, and, the client wishes not to sail.*
- If there is continuous rain and lightning just prior to the start of the charter which is expected to last the duration of the reserved charter, and, the client wishes not to sail.*
*For out of town guests or special reservations that are canceled due to the two prior circumstances and cannot be rescheduled, 85% of the fare will be refunded (15% retained for crew standby and preparation).
Often, the weather on Lake Superior differs from the weather on shore. It is best to call us, text us or come down to the marina to confirm conditions.
If WE cancel a trip due to weather or any other conditions, you will receive a FULL REFUND of all fares. Once a charter begins there will be no refunds unless due to the inability of Sail Superior to continue the reserved charter.
Additional Zodiac Tour Considerations
In addition to our standard cancellation and refund policy, all non-private Zodiac Tours must have a minimum of 6 confirmed passengers at least 24 hours before departure. If there are fewer than 6 passengers, an effort will be made to reschedule or, if we are unable to do so, the full cost will be refunded.
Sleeping Giant Sailing School
Classes and instructional cruises are not canceled due to weather.
Zodiac Tour Restrictions
Children must be at least 142 cm (4’6″) tall for our zodiac tours.
Zodiac trips are not suitable for pregnant women or those with serious back and neck problems. Please let us know of any such conditions at the time of booking and we can recommend a more suitable option.
Big Lake Excursions
All big lake sailing and zodiac excursions that involve going to shore require a waiver to be signed by each passenger. Download the waiver here and fill it out beforehand.
|Student||Enrolled at a post-secondary institution|
|Senior||65 years and older|
|Youth||11-17 years of age|
|Child*||3-10 years of age|
|Toddler*||2 years and under|
|Family||2 adults and 3 youth|
|*Must be accompanied by an adult. If more than one child is present, one adult and individuals over the age of 15 must accompany them.|
Where to Meet
Arrival time is typically 15 minutes before any adventure and the meeting place is at our boats:
Pier 3 Slip 13 Marina Park, Thunder Bay, ON
We look forward to your arrival! You may park free of charge in one of the three parking lots along the waterfront. You are welcome to drop off people and belongings at the boats before parking.
See our Contact page for more information, a map of our location and detailed directions.
Weather & Routing
Sail Superior.com reserves the right to change destinations and or routing in the interest of passenger and vessel safety.
Pet-Friendly Zodiac Tour Policy
Availability is limited. One pet per charter.
*A reservation does not need to be made for a registered guide or hearing dog, they are welcome to come aboard free of charge.
We are very excited to be able to offer our passengers the opportunity to bring their companions along on our trips! Here are a few guidelines and tips to make the trip safe and enjoyable for you, your pet and other passengers:
- It is advised to make a reservation for your pet in advance. However, walk-ons are welcome and accepted based on availability.
- Pets must travel with their owners. For safety reasons, there will be designated seating for you and your pet to sit together.
- Pet owners are responsible for the care and feeding of their pet.
- Your pet should have a properly fitted collar or harness, as well as an identification tag with current contact information.
- Senior dogs, small-breed dogs, puppies, dogs with short legs and double coated dogs are all considered to be less than ideal swimmers. With these types of breeds, it is recommended that you use a lifejacket or flotation device.
- Pets can get sunburned! Especially the ears, paws and nose are very susceptible to sunburns. Most children sunscreens will be safe for dogs but we recommend contacting your vet for a list of options.
- On hikes, we have a poop and scoop policy, we ask that you please clean up after your pet.
- There is a small $5 fee for each pet traveling onboard with the exception of registered guide and hearing dogs, which are carried free of charge. The $5 is to reserve a spot for your pet and equip the boats with basic pet cleanup equipment. A portion of the proceeds will go to a local animal shelter/charity.
- Be aware that longer zodiac rides can be physically stressful on a pet as they cannot hold on to the boat, especially if there are big waves
- In the event of a pet becoming agitated by the stress and sound of the boat. the captain will have the final say as to whether the pet is capable of continuing on the tour.
- Owners are financially responsible for any incurred costs from having to cut a trip short or extend a trip because of a pet.
- Owners are entirely responsible for their pet’s behaviour and it shouldn’t interfere with the experience of other passengers.
We know that you really want to bring your pet with you, and we want you to! It is important to consider that these trips are not suitable for all pets. Please ensure that your pet is sociable and will not disrupt other passengers.
Use your discretion when considering bringing your pet. If you are uncertain about how your pet will behave onboard, please Contact Us to make arrangements prior to booking your tickets (ie. arrange to bring your pet to the marina to visit us first). In most cases, there are no issues and a pet and its owner will both enjoy their tour.
We have put policies and procedures in place to mitigate pet-related incidents and make your experience safe and enjoyable. We must still, however, remind pet owners that they are financially and legally responsible for any injury or property damage their pet causes.
Small Craft Advisory: To alert mariners to sustained (more than two hours) weather or sea conditions, either present or forecast, that might be hazardous to small boats. The decision as to the degree of hazard will be left up to the boatman, based on his experience and size and type of boat. The Small Craft Advisory is an advisory in Coastal Waters and Nearshore forecasts for sustained winds, frequent gusts, or sea/wave conditions, exceeding defined thresholds specific to geographic areas. A Small Craft Advisory may also be issued when sea or lake ice exists that could be hazardous to small boats.
Eg. Eastern (Lake Superior, Lake Erie, Lake Ontario) – Sustained winds ranging between 25 and 33 knots (except 20 to 25 knots, lower threshold area dependent, to 33 knots for harbors, bays, etc.) and/or seas/waves 5 to 7 feet and greater, area dependent.